With so much marketing related content produced each day, it can be hard to know where to look for the best quality information. You want to stay on top of trends like search engine optimization, content marketing, and email marketing–but where do you begin?
Guides offer an opportunity to learn from experts and often include heaps of examples and strategies laid out in a step-by-step process.
That’s why we’ve put together a list of 40 must-read guides on a variety of marketing-related subjects. Get ready to discover some of the best resources available online.
Online marketing guides
1. QuickSprout – In this 14-chapter guide by Neil Patel and Ritika Puri, everyone from first-time marketers to experienced entrepreneurs can learn how to properly tackle online marketing. Chapters include subjects like building a marketing framework and foundations of conversion optimization.
Must-read guide: The Beginner’s Guide to Online Marketing
2. Moz – Oli Gardner approaches the subject of online marketing by breaking it down into eight distinct disciplines. In this long-form post, you’ll learn how to quickly build a strategy and grow your online authority.
Must-read guide: The Noob Guide to Online Marketing
3. Neil Patel – Neil’s standalone guide covers everything from search engine optimization to social media, but in shorter form. You’ll find lots of real life examples here rather than in-depth how-tos, so you can learn from practice rather than theory.
Must-read guide: Online Marketing Made Simple: A Step-by-Step Guide
4. Google – This actionable guide complete with a getting started worksheet leverages case studies and strategies to make a strong case for online marketing’s effectiveness. Note: Aimed at small business owners, this guide does have a not-so-subtle sales angle (and does highlight Google’s offerings.)
Must-read guide: Google’s Small Business Online Marketing Guide
5. Kissmetrics – Have a leaky online marketing funnel? Read this guide to learn how you can reduce churn and use micro-funnels to retain more customers no matter where they are in the buyer cycle. Note: You will need to provide some basic information to access this guide.
Must-read guide: How to Measure and Fix Your “Leaky” Marketing Funnel
Content marketing guides
6. CoSchedule – CoSchedule has a variety of free blogging guides that range in subject matter from “How to be a successful blogger” to “How to make an infographic.” You will need to supply an email address to get access, but the information provided is worth signing up for.
Must-read guide: How to Be a Successful Blogger
7. Content Marketing Institute – This guide is jam-packed with tips, case studies, and strategies for creating and distributing content, as well as industry insights into how blogging impacts your online marketing strategy.
Must-read guide: The Ultimate Guide to Blogging
8. Distilled – It’s one thing to have a blog, but it’s another to create engaging, valuable content that your target audience wants to read. This guide walks you through how to create interesting blog content for your unique demographic that keeps them coming back for more.
Must-read guide: No Words Wasted: A Guide to Creating Focused Content
9. Shopify – In this 15-part video series created for eCommerce merchants, you’ll learn how to develop a content strategy that drives sales and helps build a loyal following.
Must-read guide: A Beginner’s Guide to Content Marketing
10. Moz – For the online marketer who feels stuck in a rut, this guide from Moz offers a refreshing view of content marketing that’s packed with advice, ideas, and tactics for more effective content marketing.
Must-read guide: Beginner’s Guide to Content Marketing
Email marketing guides
11. Kissmetrics – Learn how to approach the different phases of email marketing from getting started to launch day with Kissmetrics’s beginner level guide for email marketing. Here you’ll also find some best practices and a list of do’s and don’ts.
Must-read guide: A Beginner’s Guide to Successful Email Marketing
12. Campaign Monitor – We created a guide to email marketing with beginners in mind, as it covers all the bases for planning and executing a smart email marketing strategy.
Must-read guide: Getting Started With Email Marketing
13. Digital Marketer – For businesses with an eCommerce component, Digital Marker has a solid three-part guide that walks you through eCommerce email marketing (so you can send more effective campaigns that drive up online sales.)
Must-read guide: The Ultimate Guide To eCommerce Email Marketing
14. DMA – If you’re looking for a comprehensive guide to email marketing, look no further. The DMA has put together an extremely robust guide that covers everything from handling complaints to writing effective email copy.
Must-read guide: The DMA’s Email Marketing Guide
15. WhenIWork – This email marketing guide is aimed at small business owners who are interested in beginning email marketing activities. With stats that prove email’s value and tips for getting started, this guide covers some of the basics and best practices.
Must-read guide: A 101 Guide to Email Marketing
Marketing automation guides
16. Econsultancy – Learn how to use marketing automation, the key market trends, and some major pitfalls to avoid within this comprehensive guide. With 76 pages of helpful information, this resource will help you begin to think about how you can use marketing automation within your own business.
Must-read guide: Marketing Automation Buyer’s Guide 2015
17. Campaign Monitor – This guide walks you through what automation is, how it can be used within your email campaigns, and has 10 different examples that provide actionable ideas on how you can deploy it right away.
Must-read guide: Email Automation Guide
18. QuickSprout – If you’d consider yourself a beginner in the world of marketing automation, this guide can help you get a grasp on everything you need to know. With examples and case studies used to illustrate different uses, you’ll learn how to make smart decisions in regard to this increasingly popular marketing trend.
Must-read guide: The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
19. Creative Boom – For organizations interested in automating some of their social media marketing, this guide is packed with best practices, tools, and resources that can make life easier.
Must-read guide: The Complete Guide to Social Media Marketing Automation
20. Barton J. Goldenberg – This guide (available on Google Books) looks at automation from a social CRM viewpoint. From background information for deeper understanding to a detailed, 12-step process for getting your social CRM automated, this long-form guide will immerse you in a wealth of information.
21. Zapier – Since CRMs can easily become a time-consuming aspect of business, many organizations are turning to automation to simplify customer relationship management. Zapier’s guide shows you how to make your CRM work for you (not against you.)
Must-read guide: The Ultimate Guide to CRM Automation
Search engine optimization guides
22. Moz – This 10 chapter guide (read more than 3M times) takes a deep dive into SEO, starting with how it works and transitioning into how to become a master of the craft.
Must-read guide: The Beginners Guide to SEO
23. Kissmetrics – This guide walks readers through the common misconceptions surrounding SEO, and then launches into a research-based approach that’s proven to produce results. Rather than using different chapters, you’ll find all of this information laid out in a single long-form piece of content.
Must-read guide: SEO: A Comprehensive Guide for Beginners
24. QuickSprout – This guide by Neil Patel and Sujan Patel offers an in-depth walk-through of some of the most current best practices for SEO from link building to keyword research. In nine concise chapters, you’ll learn how to take your SEO to the next level.
Must-read guide: The Advanced Guide to SEO
25. Search Engine Land – This SEO guide is a well-rounded crash course for anyone interested in improving their SEO efforts. Throughout its nine chapters, you’ll work your way through basics and into more advanced strategies.
Must-read guide: Search Engine Land’s Guide to SEO
26. Google – It’s always a good idea to go to the source for information. Google’s SEO starter guide began as an internal resource but has been opened to the public domain with the company’s best tips for getting the most out of your SEO work.
Must-read guide: Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide
Social media marketing guides
27. Social Media Examiner – This guide is a great getting started resource for Facebook business pages that will help ensure you’ve covered all the bases. Learn how to optimize your business page and how to use the tools that make this platform a referral engine for your organization.
Must-read guide: Facebook 101 for Business: Your Complete Guide
28. Ross Simmonds – Learn the surefire tactics to growing a loyal following on Instagram from an experienced digital strategist who’s worked with brands of all shapes and sizes.
Must-read guide: How to Generate Your First 20K Followers on Instagram
29. Mashable – Interested in Twitter, but have a lot of questions? Mashable has assembled a guide that outlines how to get the most out of your Twitter account, answers common questions, and dives into multiple tools and features that make this platform highly effective for your brand (or personal) use.
Must-read guide: Twitter Guide Book
30. Moz – With 12 chapters, this beginner’s guide covers the strategy, value, and best practices of social media, as well as tips for using several popular platforms. If you’re not sure where to begin with social media, this guide can help you find your way.
Must-read guide: The Beginner’s Guide to Social Media
31. CopyHackers – Author Joanna Wiebe has put together a comprehensive guide with an exhaustive list of copywriting formulas that help produce conversions. Broken down into 17 different sections on formulas for web pages to formulas for email subject lines, this guide is a great reference tool for all of your writing objectives.
Must-read guide: The Ultimate Guide to No-Pain Copywriting
32. QuickSprout – Neil Patel and Joseph Putnam share how you can use the art and science of copywriting to reach more people and increase sales. Learn how to write like an experienced advertising veteran with the help of this resource.
Must-read guide: The Definitive Guide to Copywriting
33. Kissmetrics – In this guide, you’ll learn how to leverage the copywriting tactics and formulas sales teams have been using successfully for years to drive up conversions. Lots of examples here that put theory into practice.
Must-read guide: Ultimate Guide to Copywriting
34. Copyblogger – If you’re looking for a guide presented in a teaching format, this might be a good one to explore. Here, you’ll learn everything from how to write great headlines to copywriting for SEO. Note: You will need to submit an email address to get access.
Must-read guide: Copywriting 101: How to Craft Compelling Copy
35. Kopywriting Kourse – Writer Neville Medhora has created a fantastic guide that helps you better understand the appropriate tone of voice for a variety of different industries and angles. Learn how to capture that specific writing voice you’ve been trying to achieve.
Must-read guide: Tone of Voice in Copywriting & Your Brand (w/ Examples)
A/B testing guides
36. Smashing Magazine – Brand new to the A/B testing world? This guide walks you through what A/B testing is, major do’s and don’ts, and has many contextual examples that show tests in action.
Must-read guide: The Ultimate Guide to A/B Testing
37. Campaign Monitor – This email-centric guide shows you how you can use A/B testing in your email marketing campaigns, complete with how-tos. Learn how you can use this strategy to generate emails that boost ROI and drive engagement with email subscribers.
Must-read guide: A/B Test Your Email Campaigns
38. ConversionXL – Best for intermediate A/B testers, ConversionXL’s guide offers a course in creating extremely effective A/B tests with clear metrics for success. In the guide, you’ll find lots of examples (and no filler or fluff.)
Must-read guide: How to Build a Strong A/B Testing Plan That Gets Results
39. Invision App – Aimed at those working within a design context, Invision App’s A/B testing guide walks readers through how this strategy can help produce powerful designs and online experiences.
Must-read guide: A/B and See: A Beginners Guide to A/B Testing
40. AdEspresso – If you use Facebook ads for your business, A/B testing should be part of your strategy. AdEspresso’s guide shows you how to properly test different versions of your ads so you’re spending marketing dollars on only the most effective versions of your campaigns.
Must-read guide: The Evergreen Guide to A/B Testing Facebook Ads