The fastest way to learn everything going on in tech is to read this report. Kleiner Perkins partner Mary Meeker has become a legend for publishing these compilations of the most critical stats and trends about how technology is evolving. From the funding climate to smartphone adoption to the tech giants to cutting-edge inventions, the Mary Meeker Internet Trends report has it all.
Below you’ll find the full 2016 report embedded. And here you can skim our collection of the best Meeker 2016 slides and what they mean.
Some highlights include:
- The global internet adoption rate was flat year-over-year at 9%, reaching 3 billion users or 42% of the world’s population
- Smartphone adoption’s growth is slowing, while Android increases marketshare despite a shrinking average selling price
- Video viewership is exploding, with Snapchat and Facebook Live showing the way, though video ads aren’t always effective
- Messaging is dominated by Facebook and WeChat, it’s growing rapidly, and evolving from simple text communication to become our new home screen with options for vivid self-expression and commerce
- US advertising is growing, with Google and Facebook controlling 76% of the market and rising, but advertisers still spend too much on legacy media rather than new media where the audience has shifted
- Meeker predicts the rise of voice interfaces because they’re fast, easy, personalized, hands-free, and cheap, with Google on Android now seeing 20% of searches from voice, and Amazon Echo sales growing as iPhone sales slow
- The USA could become the home of the auto industry again thanks to innovation from Tesla and Google despite US auto sales slipping since 1950, though car ownership will fall as Uber/UberPool sharing becomes mainstream
- China’s internet trends look better than the US, while internet giants around the world continue to grow more powerful
- Non-tech giants are acquiring tech companies to fuel growth and transition to digital as data becomes the next big platform thanks to so many devices capturing it